Pages

Friday, September 5, 2014

Joy Conaway: Music to fill you with "joy!"

Joy is an up and coming independent artist based in Atlanta, GA. We met through a mutual friend in the business, my talented fraternity brother and singer/songwriter Tyrone J. Joy and I instantly hit it off. Her sparkling personality mixed with her gorgeous voice makes this beautiful songstress a breath of fresh air to the indie music scene in Atlanta.

Fast Facts About Joy Conaway


Hometown: Detroit, MI and Atlanta, GA
Schoolin' Life: Georgia State University
Twitter: @joyful_sings
Instagram: @joyful_sings
Facebook: www.facebook.com/atjoyfulsings
Sound: Soul mixed with acoustic pop!
Crayon Box Color: Purple, for royalty.


Pat: So tell me a little about yourself Joy?

Joy: I graduated from GSU last year. My major was television film production with a minor in history…. NOTHING to do with music. You know, it’s really weird. IN high school I didn’t know what I wanted to do. But you know, music doesn’t really pay the bills. Well, I started editing my own videos, music videos and thought hey I could kinda incorporate this into what I want to do in life. I love music and I could still learn a craft that would be helpful down the road.

Pat: So being an actor, I know that it is hard work to get out there. How has it been for you getting your brand out there.

Joy: The first lesson and you know what I’m actually learning it now, not everybody is your friend. I know that sound clichĂ©, but I would go out to others shows and support and when I needed them to come through for me that way, they didn’t show up. My whole thing is people aren’t really against you, but their aren’t for you. They don’t go as hard for you, as you would for them.  And I think that was kind of disappointing, but I think that really pushed me to just do it for myself.

Pat: You consider yourself an indie artist?

Joy: I do. I do. Last year I started calling myself that. People were like, “If you’re don’t want to be an artist then what are you doing?”  But I didn’t want the responsibility of the artistry, because when you’re an artist there’s an expectation of a look and I just wanted to be Joy. But that's not it, that's not even. I think I was just being kind of lazy before and now I'm focused.

Pat: How has that been? Building that image and finding out who Joy is?

Joy: Well, my mom always shopped at thrift stores. Being an indie artist…obviously you don't have any money, so as far as my look, the thrift store is my friend. As far as trying to be high fashion in my look and do these heels, that wasn’t for me. I more comfortable in a vintage, classic, chill vibe. I think that comes across in my music and presentation. Folks were like, “Well your already short, so you should wear heels.” I’m like,  “Ain’t nobody getting in anybody’s heels to trip.” That’s not the idea I have for my life. Finding the look wasn’t hard, but maintaining the look has been a challenge.




Pat: So your confident in your artistry and your image, now comes the music. Can you talk a little about your song writing process? I’d love to talk about Deepest Fear.

Joy: The song writing process. That’s probably my biggest struggle and insecurity. You don’t know if people are going to like it. If people attack it, it feels like they are attacking you. The first song I wrote, “Finally” was a mini anthem for me. I wrote it and recorded it, and I remember releasing it on Sound Cloud and my hands were shaking and I did not want to click submit. If someone doesn’t like your outfit, you get over it. When they don’t like your music that’s hard. Deepest Fear...actually, Tyrone J wrote that. All of it, and it’s amazing and I wanted to sing that.

But my songwriting process is something that I need to grow on. I’m afraid, but I’m going to take the chance. It’s really homework that I need to do. You're not gonna get better unless you do it. That's something that I have to challenge myself to do.


Pat: So musically, who are your inspirations?

Joy: I’m trying to think of the CD’s I have in my car. Artist that have influenced my sound? Well.... John Legend, Rascal Flatts, Katy Perry, Whitney Houston, Keeyen Martin, Michael Jackson, BeyoncĂ© (that's kind of a given...), Doug Whatley, EWF, Jayh, Prince, Norah Jones, Jade Novah, The Clark Sisters, Frank Ocean, Brik Liam, India Shawn, Kelly Clarkson, Pink, The Temptations.... just to name a few.

I definitely enjoy Janelle Monae because she's chill. She's not going to be in the 8-inch heel all the time. She does and wears what she wants. I love that.

Pat: What’s down the road? Artistic goals?

Joy: I had this conversation with God and asked him to surround me with good people. I wanted something that was reachable for me. I’m not looking to jump through hoops. I love singing and I love kids, so I'm trying to put those two together. Singing for a children’s hospital or a cancer ward. I’m looking to connect with places in the area. There are definitely a lot of broken people, but music can heal. People going through cancer or depression need something. Sometimes you can't get to church and sometimes...church can't get to you, but music can.

#artsupportsart

Listen to Joy on Sound Cloud: https://soundcloud.com/joyful_sings

Or, purchase Joy's newest single, Deepest Fear on iTunes HERE.


There's always enough black to go around,

Pat







No comments:

Post a Comment